TEACHING ENGLISH: What I Hate About Teaching English In Brazil?

Hey You Guys!
How Are You?

  Who's excited for another post about Teaching English? Well, I hope you are 'cause I really am! Giving a sequence to the posts where I talk about teaching, today I wanna show you my perspective about all the annoying things about Teaching English in Brazil. First of all this is not to dis-encourage you to get a job here it is just my point of view as a person who's been doing this for a long time and have faced thousand of situations during all these years. Without much further due, let's get into it.


1. Irresponsible/ Negligent Parents.

  In a perfect world, parents should be on our side and work close to us when it comes to discipline however in most cases that's not what happens. They only come once to the parent's meeting during the semester and they feel they have the right to point their fingers to your face and yell at you. It's sad but true. Like anything in life we can't judge everybody likewise but unfortunately it's what I've experienced in every school that I worked at. I remember that once a mother called the school and asked to talk to me and when I picked up the phone she started screaming, cursing me and talking shit but when she calmed herself down, I took a deep breath and I politely said a few things that made her shut the fuck up and see that the only person who should be ashamed of something was her.

2. Doing Stuff That I'm Not Paid To Do.

  We all have to agree that being a Teacher is not an easy job to do and with it comes a lot of responsibilities naturally attached to the job, for instance, being concerned about our students goals and problems, being mentally&emotionally prepared for everything that might happen and advising our students about their personal problems on a daily basis but that's FINE this is not the extra stuff they don't pay you to do honestly even though this is not your job you'll do it because you care about them. I'm talking about all the extra stuff that the school is going to put you up to do and that will certainly piss you off, A LOT, because they will make you feel like IT IS YOUR JOB when in fact it's not and the truth is that you'd be happy to help a company that recognizes your job but it is not the case in most schools in Brazil, they will pay you a low salary and expect you to work only for them and on top of that they will give you a lot of responsibilities that have nothing to do with teaching for a number of reasons but mostly because they're out of staff to handle the other areas.

3. The lack of knowledge students have about their mother tongue.

  You are trying to teach a new language, a new culture and why not a new of thinking however the education rates in Brazil are not too satisfactory to say the least. When a person starts learning a new language these doubts about their own language start to appear naturally because how can I make sense out of something that doesn't even make sense to then in their first language, anyway. It sounds like an impossible job to do but it's when amazing things happen and actually when you see your students really learning the sense of accomplishment is unique and pretty rewarding, trust me. So this issue of poor education is just another obstacle we have to face on a daily basis and at times it could get a little overwhelming.

  These are the three things that bother me about being a teacher not only in Brazil but I think some of these problems we gotta face in every country the we are in and in every school we work for so it's kinda "normal" but it still annoys me.

Thanks for reading!!!

Hugs,

Douglas Migliassi

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas