RIP Grandpa 🤍

  This past month was by far the hardest month of my entire life. On September 12th I lost Scott and two weeks later my mother's father discovered he had a terminal lung cancer growing inside of him. In the midst of grieving the loss of my little pet I had to prepare my mind and heart to possibly lose my favorite grandpa in the next few days. 


  His name was Jose Bonfim, he was 79 years old and the kindest person I knew. He made my childhood memories very special. My grandmother divorced him when I was very young, around 8 or 9, I don't remember exactly. However I can still recollect a lot of fond memories from that time. Of course from my grandson perspective, I don't judge or disagree with my grandma for divorcing him. He was unfaithful to her many times and after their children were raised she knew it was the right time to do it. 

  He wasn't perfect. Nobody is. But I loved his positive side. We all knew how caring and generous he was. At times people took advantage of him because of this personality trait. I know most of my vales came by watching him. When we're young we all learn by watching the grownups around us. He was always present and as my grandfather I couldn't expect anything more from him. I miss him already.

  Last Saturday, on Sep 30th,23 I went to the hospital to visit him and I had this feeling that it would be the last time. I grabbed his hand and pat him on his head very gently and called his name. He tried to wake up. He responded to me but with his limitations. He couldn't speak, open his eyes for more than just a few seconds or move his body. However everytime I took my hand off of his head he raised his right arm and touch his head to indicate that he knew I was there. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going crazy. So I did it over and over and he responded with the same reaction every single time. He cried. And I knew he'd know I was there holding his hand and showing how much I love him. Emotions are eternal.
  
  On Oct 06th, 23 my aunt got a call from the hospital and we knew it had happened. But they kept us waiting for the confirmation for almost 2 hours. When the confirmation came I cancelled all my classes of the day and the next day. I couldn't work. I had to be there for my mother and process what had just happened even though we knew it would at some point. My students were amazing and very supportive. I was able to be the support my mother needed and also be my own support system at that time. I will keep writing his memoir and once it's done I'm gonna print a few copies and give to the ones I know loved him as much as I do. When I started writing his book he was here. Alive. Talking. Walking. Getting on people's nerves. And now I'll finish it after his death so his memories and life won't ever be forgotten. 

I love you grandpa. 

You deserve to rest in peace.

🕊️

Douglas Migliassi or as he used to call me "Dodo". 

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas